C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, May 13, 2024

Paper Tubes: Part Three

Subtitle: Using Our Senses

I visited Bessie the hackmatack tree today. I kind of feel like a mom when I visit....watching these little pine needles grow up.  

This time I touched the needles and was completely surprised at how they felt. I expected them to be stiff and rigid like most pine needles....but they were a soft as a makeup brush.

I think she's just beautiful! 
And now I know she's soft and beautiful.


I submitted my homework project for Using Our Senses week for the Conscious Creativity course yesterday. I got out the old Shupe family typewriter for my cover page.....I just love all the sounds that they make and the feel of the keys and I smiled all the way through making the video.  I messed up a few times so had to make several passes at it but finally got it. I wanted another typewriter video at the end...but something happened to the ribbon and it stopped typing. Figuring that out is another day. 

This is the first page.....and in the reel it's a video of me typing the cover.

And this is the last page....with videos of  making the pickled vegetables in between. The sounds are great! It was certainly a sensory celebration!

If you're interested you can check out my project here on my Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/p/C63u0KuLutk/  

This is the last week of the course...and it's shadow week!  I love shadows!  

Paper Tubes Part Three:

Just a quick step for today....painting the edges. This is something that Ellen taught me...and I still do it. I remember her saying that everything looks better with a frame.  And these little gold tips just seem to finish off the tube while giving it a little bling.  Clearly...it's completely optional.

I've tried all kinds of gold pens....and they all work. But this is the one I like the best. Once it's primed, it's very juicy so covers well. It does take a minute to dry so be careful about that. 

I just dab the ends and draw a little line around the end. They don't have to be perfect.  


This is a corner of a mirror I covered in indigo magazine tubes.

I think the gold really makes a difference setting off the blues and celebrating the transitions.

Painting the edges is another one of those 
mindfully mindless things I do while watching TV.

3 comments:

  1. Bessie is a beauty, and a softy : )

    Your reel for Celebrating the Senses SOOOOOO celebrates the senses, MaryAnn. My senses come alive in the watching.

    And, wow!, there's gold in them thar tubes : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me chuckle Dotty! I'm so glad you liked my sensory reel. I really had a good time putting it all together and it certainly was a celebration of all the senses!

      Delete
  2. I finally got around to looking up Hackmatack, since I've never heard of that type of tree before. And guess what - it's the same as a Tamarack tree, which I have heard of! It appears that the name depended on the Native American people who named the tree, and Hackmatack came from the Northeast people. From hackmatacknwr.org: "The American Tamarack tree has been known by many local names over the centuries amongst native peoples and outdoorsmen. Some of these names include Eastern Larch, American Larch, Red Larch, Black Larch, Takmahak, and Hackmatack." Pretty neat! We planted a Dawn Redwood in our yard a few years ago which looks very similar. It too is really soft. Gotta love those deciduous conifers!

    ReplyDelete