C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, August 30, 2026

Simple Noticings

Dotty planted a seed a couple of weeks ago in her comment on my "Enough" post about a simple bloom. She called it a Simplicity of Noticings. At first that phrase sounded awkward....but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. Dotty is a student of words. She's a writer and a poet so I pay attention to and sometimes wrestle with her words....especially when she coins a phrase.

Noticing....is a a action. Slowing down and taking the time to really look at the world around us. It's important and often joyful. 

Noticings are the products of that effort. A tangible image or even just a brief moment of awe that we can carry in our mind and hearts and sometimes even hold.

So it begins: simple posts every now and then of what I'm going to call Simple Noticings. Of course....I've actually been doing this for years.....but now I have a new name for it. 

A few days ago I noticed that my Devilsbit is starting to open. Each one of these tiny balls/buds will open into its own tiny flower until the whole thing is in bloom. I find the process utterly fascinating!

Then I noticed one further along! Oh how I love celebrating simple noticings.

1 comment:

  1. MaryAnn, what fun to read your post tonight that harkens back to your mention a few days back of a prickle of porcupines (if I recall correctly!) which in turn led me to dub your joyfinding activities a simplicity of noticings! What a spectacular kickoff to your Simple Noticings post today—that Devilsbit makes quite a statement; I am amazed and dazzled by that powerhouse of a flower.

    ReplyDelete