C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, September 28, 2026

Drips and Strips

You don't have to do everything. Just do the next thing.

My votive rain gauge was full this morning....so that means almost 3 inches on day one of this nor-easter. 

It's been drizzling/raining on and off all day today....so I enjoyed another indoor day. I've come up with a strategy for my new puzzle challenge....more on that another day when there's more visible progress.

I can see my Stewartia tree is from my kitchen window....it's one of my favorite fall transitions to watch.

The changing leaves are especially lovely with the raindrops (drips).

While I was puttering in the studio...I made another tag using punched gelli print squares. They were pretty bright...so I toned them down with a little zinc white paint. 

I added skinny strips of text and a crow as a focal point and I think it flows well from that last tag. 

I couldn't take it to the backyard to photograph in the natural light....so I had to walk around the condo until I found the right light. It was a dark and gloomy day....which I kind of liked. 

I used a piece of striped tissue for the back. I toned it down with white paint and added more skinny text strips.

You can also see that I added a little black and white circle on the last tag for interest and balance. 

Time to transition to a new color scheme. I'll have to find the right inspiration paper or image. 


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Stewartia tree photos; they offer a striking reminder of the beauty on offer in this stretch of rain rain rain. And rain. I did have a moment of mirth, though, when I realized that if my own skin were "blistered" in that way, I'd be horrified hahaha!!!

    Ha! A puzzle strategy already enacted! I'll be eager to hear the deets when the time is right.

    Your Unique black bird tag flows well from its predecessor and has appealing composition, balance, and focus in its own right. I like the contrast between the straight-edged geometric shapes and the organic curvilinear shape/presence of the bird. Back of tag flows well from front, with its own unique B-side energy. Nice tweak of the last card, MaryAnn! The b&w "target" brings balance and a playful riff on the woodpecker's stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you got more rain that we did. I think we got nearly 4 inches total so the lawns and gardens are happy! The raindrops did kind of look like blisters! Ouch!

      Thanks for all your noticings on my tag.s I don't overthink when I'm making them...I just keep combining and adding until I'm happy enough. So thank you for pointing out why it kind of works! :)

      Delete
  2. I am enjoying your transition tags. Today’s reminded me of my dad……there are crows where he lives and he created a crow feeder by mounting a small satellite dish horizontally off his deck railing. He puts stale bread, old eggs, stale crackers (see a trend here?) out for them. When the dish is empty they start calling to him….loudly 😂. Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...I love this story. It's sounds sooooo like your dad! I can picture his repurposed oversized crow feeder. What a good use for all his stale food! I'm guessing he let's things go stale on purpose. He's got such a big heart.

      Delete