C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, September 12, 2022

Late Bloomers

While I was visiting with Patty this afternoon we both admired this single vibrant hydrangea bloom in her front yard.

The shrub was loaded earlier in the season....but this is the only late bloomer. The rest are all fading into fabulous wabi-sabi land.

I've decided I have a lot of late bloomers in my studio.  

As I sort through the piles and bins....I'm coming across dozens and dozens of experiments.....pieces and parts of potential projects. And for the sake of my post theme....let's call them buds.  For every one finished project you see here on the blog, there are probably 10 buds...waiting to bloom.

So while I sort and organize over the next several months....I'm also going to play with them....as often as I can. It's time for some of them to bloom.

Today I found this watercolor sheet where I taped off squares and fiddled with some paintings. Then I just set it aside.

I cut one of the motifs into strips....rearranged the pieces...
and took it to the sewing machine.

Because the strips didn't fill the card....I was going to just trim it down. But I decided to add one of the little black and white bird from Connie's calendar....it reminded me of the princess and the pea story. I should have put a little egg way at the bottom.

And doesn't it go well with Patty's hydrangea?  Two late blooming peas in a pod!


I often take photos of things as I hold them in the backyard.  Yes....I love woods as a backdrop....but mostly I want the natural light.  These two photos of the watercolor are a perfect example why.  The top photo of the work in progress....is artificial light in the studio.  The finished piece is indirect natural light in the backyard and captures the colors of the piece so much better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment