C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, September 3, 2026

Doodling with Dolly

While watching a PBS special on Dolly Parton this afternoon (which I recommend)....I added some simple collage elements to my indigo/purple page in my concertina. I'm not sure I'm done...and it may be hard to even tell what I did...so I included the before photo. The color difference is just the difference in time of day in the backyard.

I wanted to soften some of the purple....so I added black and white lettering accents I cut from a catalog. And of course....a few white dots with a paint pen. Never leave me alone with a paint pen.



When I'm filling in a space with paper or fabric...I use tracing paper to draw a pattern. I place it on top of my chosen filler...and cut it out.


I auditioned this black and white pattern and didn't like it...so used the same pattern to cut out the words that ended up in the space. They were softer and more subtle. Dolly Parton was soft....but certainly not subtle! She was a force to be reconned with.


1 comment:

  1. MaryAnn, I do love my bird's eye view of your process. Thanks for featuring the before and after, and the tracing paper pattern with two trial pieces. LOL at your admonishment never to leave you alone with a paint pen; they are the best, aren't they? With those white dots and the concertina cutouts affixed in place, you've done a great job of softening some of the purple. Love that you and Dolly shared some time together today ❤️

    ReplyDelete