C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Order

Subtitle: Game Changer

I have a string of sequence confetti lights I bought several years ago for Christmas decorating. I left them up until March that year so I declared them as my equinox lights. They go up in the fall...and down in the spring. The evening sparkle is a game changer this time of year.

I mostly keep my main living area fairly tidy. I have been known to clutter up the dining room table...and I do use the guest room as a plop spot. And since I'm the only one who uses the little TV room....I tend to have piles of projects and mail to sort patiently waiting for attention. 

But the upstairs studio is a different matter....it's almost always a wreck. I've been trying to do some organizing lately because I have no open workspaces anymore. I need just a bit of order. Maybe I can be motivated by my current puzzle. 

I said it was a doozy...and I wasn't kidding. Hundreds of colorful rainbow butterflies scattered on a world map. I pulled out all the orange pieces....and fiddled with them for a bit with very little progress UNTIL I came up with a strategy and established some order.

I sorted the oranges into lights and darks. Then I sorted each side into two groups...the long skinny pieces that go horizontally...and the short stubby ones that go vertically. I was mostly able to place them the right right side up because of the bits of butterfly on the piece. 

I started with two pieces that were already joined in the box....I consider that a gift from the puzzle fairy....and started building from there. Because of my sorting and order.....it was a game changer! 

And just like that....I had almost all the orange butterflies assembled and connected to the border. 


And after dinner I did the same thing with the yellow.
Just think what some order would do for me in my studio! 


6 comments:

  1. Holy smokes, MaryAnn! You sure did suss out an effective strategy! You reminded me of an exercise someone presented in a class once demonstrating the difference between doing the exercise without a strategy and then with. I used to take my own tutees through that exercise to let them see firsthand, hands-on, what a difference a strategy can make.

    Love your twinkle lights. I might have to get me a strand. I was JUST a few minutes ago thinking about when we'll shift from summer to fall rituals. We're going away for a week starting Oct 9 and will stick with summer till then (even though conditions are really already calling for a shift): we still picnic at various spots by the water every evening, we don't yet pull down the accordion shades in our family room come darkness, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Strategies matter. It's interesting how I can't apply them to all aspects of my life. Because when the work...they really work!

      I do love these lights. The sequence makes them pretty even during the day. Totally understand your wanting to hang on to summer and I absolutely love that the two of you are still having your picnics by the water. That's so cool! For me...I'm always ready to slide into fall this time of year!

      How fun to have a trip coming up! Seeing family? Vacation?

      Delete
  2. I almost always seem to get a chuckle out of something you write, MaryAnn. This time it was the thought of the "puzzle fairy" who gave you the gift of two connected pieces to get you started on this puzzle. And, oh, those lights are so delightful!! Your blog always gives me a lift. I recently have started my old blog up again and hope to get some more personal stories on there. I really miss the days when blogging was popular, but I'm so glad to visit yours nearly every day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile! I'm glad I can make you chuckle....and I really believe in the puzzle fairy. Let's make blogging popular again!!! I like it so much better than Instagram. Please send me a link to your blog!!!

      Delete