C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, March 15, 2021

Round 10

Becky, Brenda and I are in the final week of round 10 of our 4x6 art card exchange. This week I need to make one for me....but I'll catch you up on the cards I've sent the last two weeks.

This time I created collages in blues and aquas using gelli prints and cutouts from tracing paper....a new technique I wanted to try. Becky got hers first....but I didn't record much of the process so I'll start with Brenda's.  

"Loving ourselves through the process of owning our story is the bravest thing we'll ever do."  Brene Brown

I started with a collaged gelli print background.  I would like to get a little more brave and do a little painting on top of my background collages to soften and blend the lines and add texture. Sometimes I want hard edges...other times I do not.  You'll see how I resolved that on this one down below.  Next time I'll give it a whirl.
Next I drew some random petal shapes onto tracing paper using a white Posca paint pen....and cut them out.

I glued them down with gel medium pressing them down with my brush and finger until they had a good hold because they had a tendency to curl up. I struggled with the centers trying several things I didn't like....which I didn't photograph.  I made kind of a mess...but saved it by painting the centers with aqua paint and covering them with round tracing paper cutouts with a swirl. Finally I embellished around the centers with gold paint pen dots.


I thought the middle right needed something to soften those hard edges....and although it could have been a complete disaster I added the fineline applicator scribbles.  Phew....I think it worked out OK and those hard lines in the collage look intentional. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.


Becky's started the same way....her collaged background was a little more bold...and this time the hard line of the torn paper was intentional creating a nod to a horizon line.
For hers....I used rock shapes...again using the white Posca pen on tracing paper.  I should have referenced this photo for my final layout because I like it better than what I ended up doing. These little cutouts are so lightweight that there's no way to keep them in one spot for very long.  They kept flying around the room ending up somewhere on the floor.  I'm still finding them.


In the end....this is what happened.....too much going on....and a few too many elements. But I liked the technique....and I'm looking forward to using it again on my card this week and in other projects.


No comments:

Post a Comment