The most well adjusted people are constantly adjusting!
I purchased a pack of 5 x 7 tea bag papers knowing they would be a sturdy substrate for cyanotypes.
I've printed on tea bags before....and it worked really well. Roseanne is the one who gifted me the bags...so I printed her this little tea bag filled with cyanotype snippets.
You can read about Roseanne's teabag here:
https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2024/07/tea-bag-project.html
https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2024/07/tea-bag-project.html
I made several others at the time that I gifted here and there.
When I coated my papers I used a few of the tea bag papers to blot up the solution. from my work surface. No blogs of solution should go wasted. When the papers were dry I put ferns on both sides all sandwiched between pieces of glass. Then I processed it on both sides yesterday outside in the sun.
I think it made a fun print with really interesting texture.
I did the same thing with some meadow rue leaves. When I held it to the light I can see the plants on both sides. The two sided teabag paper will make a pretty page in a journal.
I was compelled to make a tag. I started by glueing a piece of this meadow rue print onto a tag....and decided that would be the back. I wanted something more interesting for the front and I wanted to transition to another color. Orange is the compliment to blue...so that's the direction I'm going.
I cut an old Real Simple magazine title into strips and collaged them on for the background. Using recycled materials has been a theme on a couple cards.
The overlay flowers (which I don't love) are cyanotypes on tissue.....so they collaged on easily and that kept the Prussian blue color going. I also added some gold speckles for more flow.
I should have left the back alone...but it was too close in design to last back with the blue and white blotchy paper. So at first I tried coloring the white spaces orange and I didn't like it at all. Thank goodness there is no photo.
I decided to go with the Japanese practice of Kintsugi where they fill cracks in pottery with gold embracing the imperfections.
A bag tag! Well done! I never tire of witnessing the creative process with its inevitable mix of intentions and surprises held lovingly in the hands of one's ever patient ever gentle ever innovative muse. Roseanne provided some raw material (hi, Roseanne!), and you and muse got your wheels turning—to great effect!
ReplyDeleteHa ha...didn't think of that! This tea bag paper is kind of amazing....the wheels are certainly turning!
DeleteI'm amazed at all the variations you come up with for your cyanotypes, MaryAnn. Your prints and tags are so original and there really is a great flow from one to the other. I enjoy and am impressed with the projects you do. I feel like I've been floundering around a bit lately, but soon will be focused on preparing for an upcoming local exhibit, so that will be absorbing! Love what you've been up to!
ReplyDeleteThanks Judy...there are so many ways to print. I think I just scratching the surface. Thanks for cheering me on! I'm excited for you and the upcoming exhibit and look forward to seeing your pieces.
Delete