C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, February 5, 2018

The Plan

I wanted to share my current plan for the quilt series I've been talking about....I"m not sure it's been totally clear. And....now that I have a date for my little show it's time to get started.

The focal wall in Dr. Adams' office can handle an arrangement that's 84 inches long.  This picture below is from the show I had two years ago.



image found online
Like I've said....I want to create a series of art quilts for this wall that work through spectrums of color and look good as a whole but sold individually.  They needed common elements and a unified feel. That's where the Kaffe Fassett stripes come in.

With a project like this in mind I've been collecting used (often ugly) canvas art at second hand stores for quite some time.  It's so easy to paint right over the old image...so why pay full price.  I love repurposing things and I didn't pay more than a few dollars for any....and some were free.

I've been playing around with fabric schemes and laid it all out on the floor in Maine this last weekend.  There isn't good light in this room so the flash distorted some of the colors.

The two larger canvases at the ends are 16 by 20....the others are various sizes and shapes. They will all get painted black and the quilts will be mounted on top.  The fabrics underneath represent a starting point for each quilt's scheme....pulled from a Kaffe Fasett stripe. I've already tweaked it a bit since this picture was taken and I'll keep tweaking as I go along. I'm still working on the actual quilt designs....but I'm getting close.
I'm going to start in the middle....the blue and green scheme which will go on the "Home is where my dog is" canvas. It happens to be Folt Bolts color scheme for February and it's the easiest scheme for me to work with.  It's looks like Kriszta's scheme was pulled right from this fabric.  Stay tuned.                                                                                                                

2 comments:

  1. Cant wait! I was wondering if you had changed your aesthetic when I saw your canvas choices. Then I read that you were going to paint over them. Whew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of excited about it too. I just hope it's 1/2 as good as what's in my head. I love that an odd image from the original canvas will hidden underneath....like a little secret.

      Delete