C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Connecting

The joy of collecting, creating, and connecting.....that's what this blog is about.

I have been exchanging e-mails with Lynne from North Carolina for several months.  She found her way to my blog and has cheered me on, offered tips and advise, and shared photos of some her amazing creations. She is a talented quilter and artist and there is much I can learn from her.  I've enjoyed our art connection and truly believe that friendships come in all shapes and sizes....sometimes it's just about art.

This amazing 4' by 12' piece is a Pentecost banner for her church and was a collaborative effort with her grandson and a friend. Collaged squares are mounted on wide ribbon and suspended on the rod.  I think it's brilliant and beautiful and I'm going to keep it in mind for future projects.
Lynne recently told me about a product she uses as a foundation for her collaging and wanted to share some with me. We decided to exchange inspiration supplies and a small project that was a combination of fabric and paper...I love shared art.  There will be more about the supply exchange in the next few days....today I'm following up on my birch tree project. 

I do have to add one more layer to the story today...so bear with me. Lynne expressed interest in my birch moon pieces from my last show if there were any left.  They all sold....but I hadn't forgotten. Why not create a small 5 x 5 birch moon paper/fabric piece as part of our exchange. 

The collaged birch branches I shared yesterday are mounted on a background of indigo blues...a mixture of fabric and papers. I created a layered landscape of sorts and like the way the torn paper gives a nod to wispy clouds.

I outlined the trunks with a slight blanket stitch and added a fabric moon.



Note to self....no machine stitching without my glasses. The black line of the blanket stitch was hard to see on the dark indigo background....so it's a little off and a little wonky. Adds character? charm? a homemade quality?....I'm going with all three.

The piece fits into a 5 x 5 matte...but I mailed it to her unframed/matted so she could do whatever works for her.  More about Lynne's project and our supply exchange tomorrow....and believe it or not there's another connection to the connection story also coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment