C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

What You Know

"Work on what you know and what you know for sure you love."


Lynne sent me this quote on a sweet handmade tag....it helps cheer her on when she needs a jump start. I took it literally today.

After auditioning the tissue collage with my folded paper piece I realized it wasn't the texture I needed.  The catalog pages are matte and even though I used matte medium for the collage they don't seem like a right fit.

I will certainly use it...but for now I set it aside and worked with what I know I love...the catalog pages.  And I used a technique that I also know and love....fusing!

I ironed fusible webbing onto the back of a few colorful pages from the Gundrun's World catalogs.  I chose to fuse because I didn't want to overcoat or have any issues with glue...I wanted a clean, matte finish. I discovered that the fusible pages could be punched so for the first round I fused squares onto a stabilizer.  I started with a row on the diagonal...then built from there. Because the squares had fusible on the back...all I had to do was lightly press with an iron. I used a pressing cloth at the end to give it a good final press.


I like it....but it wasn't quite right either. It was a little too orderly and reminded me of the paper chains we used to make with gum wrappers growing up. I think I might have liked it better if I had fused the squares straight.

Next I fused some wonky strips together making a striped band....I can work with this! The vertical lines will be a nice contrast to the horizontal ones in the folded layer.









I will use it as a narrow insert between other art papers as part of the totem.


I'm still auditioning art papers...and may manipulate some a bit. But for now this stack is being set aside because it needs time and space....and a little mulling. I know it has potential. Onto more things I know I love....and maybe even a little cleaning.


No comments:

Post a Comment