C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Stacked Totem

I finally mounted my first stacked piece which measures 6 by 24 and I'm very pleased. 

I'm quite inspired by art "totems" and now that it's mounted that's what it feels like. I love the way the design wraps around the canvas...it feels crisp and artful.  Yay!...or maybe I should say Phew!

I glued down the top surface that was reinforced with interfacing using medium and let it dry under heavy books. After clipping the corners I wrapped and fused the edges to the board using a hot iron and a pressing cloth.  It was a little fiddly...and I needed both hands and both knees....but it went pretty well.



I'm looking forward to playing with more of these and coming up with interesting patterns and schemes. I'm also wanting to incorporate mixed media...maybe fibers, beads and/or papers. I'll have to practice restraint because I'm going to avoid buttons this time around...trying to be less "crafty" and more arty with this series.





Here's a larger image where you can see the details. 


2 comments: