C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Stacks

Three years ago I wrote a post about my love for stacks.....and my fond feelings for them hasn't changed.  I just love things stacked up.

A few weeks ago I wrote about falling in love with fusing again.....and two days ago I shared a Tina Fey's quote"Say yes and you'll figure it out afterwards."



So what do these three posts have in common?  I'm pretty sure I said yes to Dr. Adams about another art show in November and/or December....I'm rediscovering the versatility and joy of fusing.....and my working theme right now for my next art series is "stacks."

The first piece I've been playing around with is going to be long and skinny and mounted on this repurposed wooden sign wrapping around the sides. Starting with the fused Kaffe stripe panel above....I've been "stacking" layers of fabrics trying to come up with an interesting combination of colors and patterns.






A few days ago I pinned it all up on the design wall so I could get some perspective...it's always good to stand back and look. I decided it needed a little more purple for balance. I will fuse all the layers together and add top stitching before I mount it.

I do realize that all the pieces can't be this busy. I have some beautiful hand dyed gradient fabrics that it's time to use. I want to feature the beauty of the fabric accenting it with a band of "stacks"....and of course some stitching.

 

Like last time I plan to keep the show cohesive by using common elements and colors. I'm still loving the Kaffe stripes....I'm just using them in a different way.

I also plan to use a variety of media this time....not just fabric.  I spent a little time a few nights ago glueing pieces from my favorite catalogs together in color strips that I will stack and stitch. The colors are have the same intensity as the fabrics.

I have dozens of "stack" ideas in my head....stay tuned as they evolve over the summer and fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment