C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Fabric Stack

Anita and I came across these amazing cone flowers on our morning walk....they remind me of Rainbow sherbet. 

And they coordinate well with my fused stack piece...which is a bit further along.  A few days ago I fused all the layers and today I topstitched.                                                                              

I cautiously decided to use some of the simple decorative stitches on my machine and was pleased with the result. Phew! I don't think I'll do any more stitching on the solid pieces. The texture in the fabric makes them look almost painted.
I'm quite fond of the Kaffe stripe stack layer....
especially that it's a bit wonky.


Because some of this is commercial fabric and doesn't always fuse as well as hand dyed I wanted to make sure everything was tacked down with some sort of stitching.  I added vertical lines on my slice and shift panel so needed to pull all the dangling start/stop threads to the back.  I was tempted to use black thread for the stitching but chose a medium dark purple instead.  It's still a nice outline but it blends really well.

I want this piece to lay really flat so didn't use batting.  Instead I added a piece of interfacing the size of the front of the wooden canvas to give it some structure and make the stitching easier. I will glue the top...and fuse the sides around the wooden canvas. That's tomorrow's project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment