C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, February 7, 2021

Embracing The Edges

One of the things that keep me grounded is puttering in my studio. Sticking with my round 8 theme using gelli print papers...this last week I "embraced the edges" for my 4 x 6 card.  This week we keep our cards.

One of the keys to successful gelli plate printing is layering using multiple colors of paint and stencils and mark making tools to create textures. 

Colors get left behind on the plate...and build up along the edges. When you pull your print you can see evidence of all the different colors you used...interesting lines appear and unexpected things happen.


I went through my papers and tore off the edges of the prints I made on deli paper. The edges are imperfect and a little messy looking....but they're also kind of wonderful!



Deli paper is one of my favorite papers for printing...and collage.  The white areas are translucent making them perfect for layering and once you glue them down with medium....the white just fades away. I glued the strips on a piece of lightweight cardstock overlapping them a bit as I went along.

I cut it to size and added a little gold accent.  I used a gold paint pen and immediately tried to smear it with my finger....but it dried way too quickly so only had limited success. I'll use something different next time.  I think it looks a bit like an abstract painting and there's no way I could get this effect painting it directly.  I'm pretty certain I'll be embracing the edges in the future....good things can happen on the edge.


No comments:

Post a Comment