C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, February 20, 2021

Form and Function

"Follow your soul....it knows the way."

I haven't hung many pictures yet....but I'm auditioning a few around the house.....at least the ones I can get to.  Art was one of the first things we moved...and it's tucked and stashed all kinds of places....including the bathtub under a lot of bedding.

But this colorful cross stitch of a beautiful woman and her son has found a new home right above Oscar. It was inspired by my niece Holly who was in the Peace Corps in Namibia. She had done it....and hers inspired me to do it too. 

It was so much fun to stitch...the background is just 1/2 crosses in the negative space....so it has a shaded kind of feel.  And the colorful textiles are just yummy.
The rest of the art is just auditioning in the spot.  At first I thought my printer's drawer would go here....but it seemed to be a vast sea of wood when I tried it out. I thought the space needed more color.....we'll see. I do want to tell you about the other two fabulous pieces. The large primitive maple cabinet came from Connie. When I knew her she had it in her bedroom with her TV on top and sweaters and other seasonal items inside. She had a lot of sweaters. The movers were glad it stayed on the ground floor here at the condo.....it's a large heavy piece.


In Lexington I had it upstairs in a spare room for craft supplies....but envisioned it here along the large wall between the dining and living room as a pantry for kitchen appliances and games and puzzles and anything else I want easy access to.  And it did not disappoint.....it's my favorite new piece in the condo and I'm just starting to fill it.  Form and function....just the direction I want to go.

And this fabulous art piece was made by a parishioner at Paul's first church...Foreside Community Church in Falmouth, Maine.

Barbara hand painted an old telephone pole....and Paul gave it to me for my birthday one of those early years oh so many years ago. I was a little worried about where it night work since the entry hallway is fairly narrow....but it's perfect right here in this spot.  

When we can finally have guests again....they'll have a place for their coats....and in the meantime it's an interesting art piece. Form and function with good stories to go along with them....just the way I like it.

Getting a few things in place is starting to make it feel like home.


And...sometimes joy looks like fabulous jambalaya and cornbread showing up at your door from Janice...one of my favorite cooks.


She even included lemon sorbet for dessert! Thanks Janice!
Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment