C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, December 20, 2021

Roots and Wings

Paul took this photo on his walk this morning...I think it's stunning and this serene setting is the perfect lead for today's story. 

Some of you know I grew up on a farm in Wisconsin. In addition to the land the farmhouse was on....we also owned acreage in a few other spots within a few miles from home. One of those spots was just down the road along the Rock River...and it was always a challenge to farm.  

Some years parts of it would flood either ruining the crop or making it impossible to plant in the first place. But probably because of those nutrients from the river....when it was farmable it likely produced well...so my dad kept at it.  

Farming...and all that went along with it are where my deep roots still live. I shared some of those memories in this post way back in 2016: https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2016/06/my-dad.html

Just today, my sister-in-law posted this photo and shared something very special our family.  

Carol and my brother Rich owned the farm after my parents passed...and started raising their boys there. They spent a lot of time down by the river.

After my brother died Carol sold the farm but donated 16 acres of land along the river to the Rock County Wetland Conservancy. It's now an official Rock County Park....trees will be planted and hiking trails made.  This particular spot with the sign was cleared for parking....making it more accessible for people to enjoy.

Another photo from Paul's morning walk.
Now that this land is not being farmed...the migratory bird population has boomed....they love it by the river. I can't wait to visit this new park.

Rich dreamed about turning this land into a park....and Carol helped make it happen.  This farmland is part of my roots....and now it has wings.  What a wonderful Christmas gift.




1 comment: