C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, March 3, 2023

Practice

This project has been taking baby steps for a week or so.....but it finally grew up and became a card.

I used some of Roseanne's artists tape....and I'm trying to work on my hand lettering.  

Hand lettering will never be a strength for me....but I'm practicing.


I taped a few pieces of the tape to my cutting mat....and sliced them with curvy lines using my rotary cutter. You have to look closely....but the lines are there.


I pulled them up and attached them to a piece of release paper...and painted them with watercolor paints.  I just love how this tape takes the paint!


Then I taped some of them to a piece of mixed media cardstock....and did the lettering. I used felt tip markers to fill in some of the negative spaces.....and stitched it onto a card.


When I'm hand lettering....as opposed to handwriting I'm trying to think about each letter.  I misspell words or leave letters out all the time.  So when it really matters I have to write it out in light pencil first so I can edit....which I did for the card.  This piece, however...has a lot of mistakes because I didn't do it in pencil. But it's just practice.  I'm going to keep working on variations of this negative space painting.


Do you notice how I turned one crossed out misspelling on the left into a little  painted doodle?  And I'm strategically covering up some of the other problem areas.
Practice Practice Practice!


I've been taking the "Love your imperfect letters" with Wendy Solganik, also known as Willa Wanders. 

I've been working on an alphabet that can be my own....and it's a mixture of upper and lower case.  


And if I find a stip of paper....I write out an alphabet.
Practice practice practice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment