C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, October 4, 2024

Fresh Eyes

What a difference a few days makes. 

About a week ago...there was just a little color in the trees across the pond. Look at them now! 

Have I mentioned how much I love October? 

😉🍂


I would have never thought of putting these colors together....but it works.

That's what's been happening as I assemble small chunks of my stripes project....surprisingly pleasing schemes. We'll see how all these small chunks work together as a whole....with ALL the other colors.

I really like this chunk oriented this way....but somehow it ended up turned the other way in the project. 



With most of the big chunks lightly fused....I may be at a stopping place for now. I kind of have to be actually. With guests coming it's time to clear the dining room table off again...and start cleaning and tidying up the condo.

Most of the  rows and columns are just lightly fused...which means I can still adjust.  

I may work in a few vertical stripes with that dark blue piece at the bottom right....the whole bottom half of that column isn't fused at all. It still needs some fiddling. 

But I needed to stop for the day....and it's far enough along that I feel good about tucking it away again. Fresh eyes between guests...or after will be just the right thing.

This is a very handy quilting tools....a table top ironing board I got at a quilt show in Lexington. 

I lay a piece of the release paper on it...and have been able to do all my fusing on this fabulous little board. 

 

An hour after taking that last photo....I walked by and just slid a chunk of vertical purple next to the blue....and yes....a vertical stripe will be what this spot needs. I'll have to work on the right color. 

But it needed another....so the next time I walked by I added the tan. The bottom of that last column didn't seem right....so I laid on a light neutral piece down on top of the red.

But I HAVE TO STOP for now....I'll figure it out with fresh eyes in the next session.

4 comments:

  1. Your process here resonates so strongly with me, MaryAnn. Makes me think of what often gets referred to as spiraling in reference to good teaching practices that serve a learner well—learning something new, practicing and practicing, letting the new learning integrate into the greater whole of one's learning—often taking a pause, then spiraling back to review old material and move onto the next new bit. The way you are approaching your stripes project makes me think of having all of one's chakras aligned. Carry on! And enjoy your guests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiraling! Yes...that's what it feels like....especially in the context of that teaching and learning practice. Thanks for planting that seed.

      I had to look up "chakras"....and was pleased to know that it refers to the seven spiritual powers in our bodies. I have 7 distinct columns in my piece.....and that was on purpose.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing how walking a way for a bit -or a long time- makes a difference in what we see. The stipes will be amazing when it is all finished. But for now- enojy your visitors- and the gorgeous picture/location at the top of this post!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I appreciate the vote of confidence on the project....I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

      The photo was taken at the pond in our condo complex....just steps aways from our door. We live in a beautiful spot.

      Delete