C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, October 10, 2024

Stitch Doodling

Bob and Nancy are in the second phase of their vacation....and Dave and Jenny  arrive on Sunday for a few days. Paul and I just slid back into our routines today....but we're looking forward to more time with old friends.

We have beautiful a pin oak in the front yard...and I've always loved the somewhat wonky shapes of the slender leaves. 

And this one is especially pretty in a vivid October red kind of way.

One of the assignments this week in the Fabulous Free Motion class was to use floral wallpaper scraps to practice outlining more complicated shapes. I didn't have wallpaper...but I did have upholstery scraps in my stash from thrift stores....and here and there. I sometimes rescue scraps from friends' trash.

We were to cut them into squares and create a doodle quilt of sorts. It was absolutely fun...and hard to stop! 

It does remind me of the watercolor doodle flowers I've done in the past....which is why I liked used black thread making it look like ink.

Moving away from the small squares....I did outline a larger piece of this outdoor fabric. I found that double stitching the lines helped it show up more....and made it more doodly. I will lean into that a bit more next time. I may even add some paint giving it some depth of color. This fabric is going to be fun to play with.

I turned a smaller piece into a card.



I could have done this for hours. But then again...I guess I did!
There's nothing but potential!


Speaking of florals....look what Margie had finished on her board.  

It was a 1000 piece challenge...but she stuck with it...and it was gorgeous sitting on her coffee table when I walked in today! 

Well done Margie! I'm looking forward to doing this one!

4 comments:

  1. What a good idea, MaryAnn. I have some scraps of decorator fabric and think I'll give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you do! I know I'm going to be revisiting this again...and again.

      Delete
  2. What a joyful, gorgeous day 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete