C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, June 25, 2018

Kitchen Art

Art comes in all of shapes and sizes....and all kinds of media. Yesterday it came in the form of a custom made kitchen island for the condo.  Rich, a long time friend of my son Sam, is the artist and I couldn't be happier with his masterpiece.

He made it out of reclaimed oak so the wood has a lot of character. I didn't want it to match the cabinets....I wanted it to compliment them and lighten things up a bit. There's just enough red undertone to work perfectly.

 

To secure a couple splits in the wood Rich created inlays using little pieces of dark walnut and a little piece of maple giving it a whimsical detail. It actually embraces the concept of wabi-sabi....the "art of imperfection."  The Japanese fill cracks in china with gold filler....Rich uses contrasting wood.

 

I love the attention to detail...like the way the shelves wrap around the legs and the dark walnut pegs against the lighter oak.  Yes...it's a work art and will last the rest of my life and beyond.  

 

I love the sight line into the living room....it ties in with 
all the warmer tones I have going on in there.


The shelves will be a handy place for bowls and serving platters and 
the extra work surface will be a welcome addition to the kitchen!
Kitchen art at its finest!
Bravo Rich! 

No comments:

Post a Comment