C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Start of Something

Once there was nothing but a nearly dead hydrangea in the back yard of the condo in Maine.....

...now there's something.  Or at least the start of something.
We love the view of the woods off our patio...but the back yard needed a little help.

It started with planting a tree that I wrote about a month or so ago....and it's been slowly evolving ever since.  I wanted to hide the heat pumps and soften the edges with small gardens where I could transplant some of my favorite perennials from Lexington.








Aaron and I removed the sod in parts for the gardens....and he sheet mulched where we planted shrubs covering the sod with cardboard and mulch. Over the last couple of weeks I've been slowly planting and trying to figure it all out.  I thought I had more sun but once again I have pretty much a shade garden.  It's still very much a work in progress and I'm nearly at a stopping place until fall.  
This picture above was almost a month ago....and with the cold spring and too much shade...unfortunately my repotted rain lilies are not much farther along. The first time I planted the bulbs several years ago they didn't do much so I'm not giving up yet.  They really started taking off the second year so I'll be patient.  I may have to find a full sun foster home for some of them. One pot is making it's way back to Lexington for the front stoop where it gets good afternoon sun.

Hopefully these will be nothing to something at some point too.

No comments:

Post a Comment