C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

How Hard Can It Be?

I want to have more than just fabric in this next show....so I'm diving back into an old hobby and giving glass stacks a try. I've done a fair amount of stained glass using the copper foil and soldering technique...but I've always wanted to try mosaic. How hard could it be? I have lots of glass...and several years ago even bought Welbond Glue and grout.  I was ready to go.


I'm using a long wooden canvas as my base....it's about 6 by 26 inches. All the glass is opaque so no light source is needed. The spaces will be filled in with grout which will accentuate the lines....I just hope I haven't left to big of a gap. In hindsight it might have been smarter to start on something smaller. Too late now!

I'm going to let this dry really well then cover all the edges.  I want it to look like it's wrapped right around the canvas.




I was really into glass for a while so have all the tools I need including this great work surface that catches little pieces of glass and allows you to set up rulers and jigs to make even cuts. Here I cut a long pice of blue then set up a jig and sliced off smaller squares all the same size.


And here I cut longer strips of green.


Once the glass is scored I have this handy dandy tool that breaks it along the score line. It's like a big plastic pliers. Bigger pieces I can snap with my hands....but these tiny pieces are hard to get a hold of. This tool works well.



Glass is messy work so I have a makeshift shop in the basement and have a nice view of the water heater and furnace. It was kind of a gloomy damp day....so I was OK being in the basement. 

How hard can it be? So far so good...we'll see how the rest goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment