C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Circles and Connections

Nancy and I had so many wonderful experiences on our trip to the UK...but those of you who follow along with me on this blog will understand how much it meant to connect with artist and teacher Philippa Stanton, also known as 5ftinf.  

After a delightful lunch and a visit to the Brighton Marina, we spent the rest of the afternoon into the evening at Philippa's home having tea at her table, exploring her creative spaces, and trading stories about "consciously creative" things. 

I shared one of my favorite stories about my mother-in-law Margie's unintentional wabi-sabi experiment of drying and decaying gourds.  You can read about it here.



Had I not shared and celebrated the concept of wabi-sabi I had just learned from Philippa's class here on the blog, these precious little gems would most likely have been thrown out. But Margie recognized that something special had happened....and was excited to share her story with me and now me with Philippa making it a wonderful full circle connection.

But then the circle got even wider because my story prompted Philippa to show Nancy and me her wabi-sabi experiment. She had tried over and over to dry gourds only to have them eventually rot completely.  But this one was a success...complete with dried seeds rattling on the inside. She placed it on her perfectly imperfect wabi-sabi table and I snapped this picture.


Then just today....while Philippa was putting some games away she discovered a forgotten bunch of gourds in the basket where the games belonged. All but one had dried and were just waiting for the right moment to be discovered and celebrated. Is it a coincidence that it was today? We think not.  It's "life making circles and connections" she told me.
Philippa's message and photo came to my phone today at almost the very moment I finished the "Steller Story" of our visit to her home where I featured her gourd on her table.  I already knew I was going to write about gourds in this blog post....you know how I love a good connection story. 
You can read my "Tea at the Table" Steller Story and see many more photos from our lovely visit here

And...just in case you were wondering about the lone daffodil blossom in the photo here's another little story.  The daffodils are in full bloom all over the UK...and Philippa's home is filled with them in various stages of life. There was one blossom on the table that I was immediately drawn to when I arrived and I pulled it into the gourd photo.  

A bit later I asked Philippa to sign my copy of her Consciously Creative book and laid it on the table.  We were both delighted when she lined the book up with the lines on her table where the cover photo was taken....and there on the cover was a similar lone daffodil blossom.  Coincidence?...we think not.  Circles and connections....pay attention or you might miss them.                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment