C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, October 25, 2019

Scrap Quilt

When I need inspiration I go to my Pinterst boards.  I've been itching to sew but got a little stuck a week or so ago because I didn't have any direction.  I will go back to my purple and orange scheme...but I'm setting it aside for now because I found something I want to try.

I made my way to a Mary & Patch post by Maryline Collioud-Robert, one of my favorite quilters:  http://maryandpatch.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-making-of-new-art-quilt-with-scraps.html

In the post Maryline describes how she used her scraps to make these colorful small art quilts. I think they're fun.

If you have interest...I highly recommend taking a look at the post.  It's mostly great photos showing her process.....just the inspiration and guidance I needed.

Over time Maryline randomly sewed together scraps of similar color being sure to include complimentary colors, skinny strips, and solids. I think the solids and the skinny pops of complimentary colors are what make it really work!  







So for the next little while when I have time and the urge to sew I'm going to build up a big stash of these simple strips of color.  I was outside most of the day today walking in the woods and moving things around in the garden...but I spent an hour this morning getting a starting.

I dumped out a pile of scraps and started sorting by color.  I started with plums and purples and am inserting light and dark solids and complimentary golden yellows.



I stacked up sets of two to sew together by feeding the into the machine one after another....called strip piecing.   

I ended up with a long string of pieces to snip apart and I got as far as getting them ironed.  When I quickly laid them out I can already see the potential....and what I still need to include.  

 

I will do some trimming making sure I have those important skinny strips and then make another pile to strip piece again....and again and again.  I think I'll find this oddly satisfying.

As I write this evening and look back at Maryline's post...I realize that her prints are very simple....almost solids themselves.  I've picked some busier batiks but I think as long as I continue to use batiks throughout....it will give it a different look with nice texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment