C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, October 5, 2019

Yesterday....

....all my troubles seemed so far away.....or so goes the song.

I had a wonderful day today....but I can't write about that until I celebrate yesterday.  After I left my puzzle and my funky attitude behind....the rest of my day was filled with creative excursions.  I met my friend Joan at the Lexington Quilt show....and as always enjoyed seeing the beautiful work of so many talented local quilters.....I'm just going to share a few of my favorites.

I always love a good wonky log cabin block....and this modern interpretation was inspired by a photogram of a quiet canal in Ireland.  So clever!


 What's not to love about a rainbow....but what makes this one special is that each block is wonky pieced from the artist's scrap bag.


Next, Joan and I made our way to Lexington's Gallery Twist (formerly Gallery Blink) to see the new show called re/seeing Humdrum....seeing beauty in the ordinary and the every day and as usual....she had me at the porch.

There was so much to take in....and it was all so beautifully displayed. But I'm always drawn to the modern quilts by Valerie Maser Flanagan...her interesting shapes machine quilting are just amazing.  


 And if that weren't enough....I made my way to Portsmouth, New Hampshire for an art opening of one of my favorites artists, Holly Lombardo called Fall On Me. Her painting of trees, water, and the coast of Maine make me melt.  You can read more about her in this post I wrote back in April.  I have gotten to know her a bit through Instagram....but met her for the first time last evening.  I plan to visit her studio some time this fall or or winter.....and who knows where that will take us! 😉


I was tickled to time it right to meet her parents.  Ironically enough they lived in Lexington when they were first married just a few doors down from where I live now...and actually got married at Hancock Church...yes!....where my husband Paul is the minister. They now live in Yarmouth, ME....just a little north of the condo.  We hit it off and chatted like we'd been neighbors all along. Pure JOY!  (If you link to Holly's Instagram page you can see the photo of her and her parents that I took.)


Before and after the opening I spent some time wandering around Portsmouth....a quaint seaside town.  The distant bridge in the middle of the photo below connects New Hampshire and Maine over the Piscataqua River....one that Paul and I drive over and over and over.  It was fun seeing it from this vantage point down a little side alley.



There were so many photo opts in and around this artsy town....but what I'm choosing to share are a couple of delightful storefront plantings that made me pause....and just LOOK!  

I ended my day at the condo....where I overlapped with Paul for about 17 hours.  We had a delightful morning together out and about....but today I wrote about yesterday....so tomorrow I'll write about today.  

Got that?  




No comments:

Post a Comment