C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Playing With Papers

Lynn, one of my favorite artist friends shared that she was inspired to start playing with gel plate printing after reading my blog....and I have Elizabeth St. Hilaire to thank for inspiring me.  Needless to say that just makes me just giddy.

These are Lynn's first printings....and I can't wait to see where it takes her.  She's so talented and creative and her art has always been an inspiration to me.


I love making these texture rich prints on the gel plate and I told Lynn I may actually like making them more than I like doing anything with them.  I just need to tap into my inner artist to figure out what I'm going to do with them all....so I've been experimenting.

One of the things I did was cover this little block with some coordinated papers.  I bought several of these for $1 at the Goodwill Store a while back knowing there would be a use for them. They had ridiculous images on them....but nothing a little gesso couldn't fix.

Now I'm auditioning some possible ways to use this background layer....maybe a quote or some sort of image or design.  The blocks are about 5 inches square....and very deep so good for just sitting.  There could even be something displayed on the top like stones.

I like the look of this black and white cut-out....just part of the brainstorming and auditioning.

I'm also working on a piece inspired by strip quilting.  I'm just winging it....and that doesn't always work in my favor....maybe I'll get lucky and I most certainly will learn some lessons.

I'm woking on a wooden paint panel and using cutouts from this graphic print I made with a stencil as a focal point here and there.  The panel is actually one of the ones I did an underpainting on for the class....and you can still see the lines of my sunflower coming through.  Clearly I painted over it but it was all primed and ready to go for another project.

It just occurred to me that I could use the strategy from the class and do an underpainting with basic shapes and colors.  Hmmmmm....that might have been smart. As I look at this picture I'm not wild about the lavender....nothing a little paint or another layer of paper can't fix.


Once I get the board covered I can add more details using paper, paints, and stencils.  It's so easy to cut skinny strips or other shapes....and unlike fabric paper doesn't fray.  Although I do try and get it smooth I don't even mind the little bit of wrinkling that happens....I think it adds more texture. So far all of the papers I've used are from sandwich wrap.

I added these little strips to gold piece on the left.                                                                                    

I'm back in Lexington now so it will sit for several days and I'll do some auditioning and planning before I continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment