C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, December 17, 2020

Vintage Christmas

"Keep creating.  Let the process teach you what it needs to teach you."  
Morgan Harper Nichols

The cards from round six of our 4 x 6 exchange are finally getting to their destinations....the mail is a little slow this time of year. For this round I decided to do something with some of the vintage postcards Angie gave me from my grandmother.  She was Kate Daniels at the time but I knew her as grandma Miller. She was a storybook grandma who cooked on a wood stove, always had treats and toys to share, and violets on the window sill.  She lived in a little house near the Rock River just a bike ride away. My grandfather Miller died the year I was born so I never knew him.

Becky got my first card using a postcard sent in August of 1914 from Rose to Kate. Becky loves roses so this seemed a little fitting. Because I grew up with Becky....I'm pretty certain that she met my grandmother a time or two.  I put a few extra postcards in her envelope because I also knows she loves all things vintage.


I tried not to cover too much of the writing....but also wanted the pine branch to be a focal point. I was already thinking it could have been larger at this point.


The back is kind of chaotic.  I'm careful to choose postcards with images I'm not quite as fond of....some of them are just too beautiful to mess with.

I used this fabulous stripe fabric to fuse on a border and my soap sliver was the perfect tool to mark a mitered corner. Then all I had to do was iron on the fabric.

Because the pine branch was a little small I added the red stitched stars in a metallic thread...they added a nice shimmer. But it still needed something.


Trying very hard to not overwork it....I used a gold paint pen and added a few dots and called it done.

Merry Vintage Christmas Becky!


We had quite a snowstorm here in New England today...and it's COLD!  Paul is in Lexington and I am in Portland....and we're both pretty snowed in.

I'll get out in it tomorrow.  I'm guessing 12 - 18 inches in the backyard with the drifting.


By the end of it...the wall and the birdbath were covered.


Paul had a lot of shoveling to do in Lexington.....he guesses about a foot. 
Looks like it's going to be a white Christmas both places.

No comments:

Post a Comment