C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, January 1, 2021

Just A Little Art

Happy New Year!

It was a frosty start to the morning...but beautiful for a morning walk. I don't always get up in time to go along with Paul...but he slept in too so I was able to join him. There was enough moisture in the air overnight to create lots of frost....and it was lovely.


I'm not really one for New Year's resolutions....but I've been reading some interesting thoughts and reflections online from artists I admire...some of which I may share here at some point. But this first day of the year for me included just a little art.
Inspired by Lynne's recent cards using torn floral images I wanted to do something in my Sketchbook Challenge book on the page spread that included her note. You can read about that and see her cards here in this post. I started with an image of a clematis bloom from a catalog and loosely tore it out around the petals. My natural inclination would have been to meticulously cut it out....but I do like the torn look.


For the background I chose a page out of my manuscript book because I thought it nicely mirrored Lynne's writing on the back of her card....and handwriting has such wonderful texture.


Using gel medium I adhered the image then once it was dry outlined the flower with a black marker. 

Then the page spread went through several stages throughout the day....many of them looked pretty bad.  I liked it better just simple and plain. But because I wanted more texture I added paint.  Then I covered it up....then I added paint...then I covered it up......and so on.

I also wanted to use some polka dots which is a bit of a theme throughout the book. I forged ahead with added polka dots using a mixture of paint, cut circles from security envelopes and cutouts from a black and white daisy I had mass produced in my computer.
Here's where I ended up.  I'll have to find my own way with this Sketchbook Challenge....but this book is about trial and error and experimenting with paint, mark making, layering, and collage. I have a little bit of everything here and it started with a little inspiration from Lynne.


Here's how it looked at the beginning of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment