C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Out Of My Head

Sometimes I can't get something off my mind until I just stop and deal with it.  That's was what happened starting last night and throughout the day today.  It was a busy house day but I sat at my work table for a few minutes here and there so I could get an idea out of my head.

I rip lots of images out of catalogs that catch my eye....and this colorful napkin "wreath" has been sitting on my dining room table for weeks.  There was just something about it that seemed to have potential.

Last night I was watching a YouTube art video that got me thinking about this wreath. I literally had to get out of bed and mount it onto a piece of cardstock so it would be dry and ready to play with it today. I cut it into 4 pieces so I could manage it better.  It still wrinkled a bit...but that didn't matter.

In the video the artist commented  that she was better with a paint pen than a paintbrush....and that would be true for me too. I don't have many supplies left in Lexington...but I did have a white paint pen and I knew immediately what I wanted to try. I covered the napkin wreath in circles and started filling in the negative space. Then I got gack to packing.


I went back to it throughout the day filling in a little more and a little more and ended up using some white wall paint to fill in some of the bigger spaces. I just wanted to get a base coat on and cover all the negative space and didn't want to use up the paint pen.....and I knew I would touch it up and revisit it when I was in my studio.  At this point I thought I might save the fruit...but it really didn't seem to fit in anymore.


So I painted over it and this is where I landed at the end of the day.  It's just a start and I have a few ideas of where I can take it from here...but I'll mull it over for a while. The most important thing is that it's out of my head and on the page so maybe I'll sleep better tonight.  


No comments:

Post a Comment