C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, June 30, 2022

Bolting

When I was in Wisconsin I heard the word "bolting" used in the context of gardening for the first time. I've always known it as "going to seed"....but now I have a new name for itWhen vegetables and herbs go to seed...or bolt....their food source season is over and they begin the process of reproducing.  

https://www.towergarden.com/blog.read.html/en/2015/7/bolting_basics_how.html

I haven't had a home with enough sun for a vegetable garden in a long time...so bolting has been off my radar screen.  But when I came home from Wisconsin I now know that's exactly what happened to my little salad garden that Janice gave me....the sudden vertical growth and flowering of the lettuce plants. I learned from the article above that the tiny flowers from bolting are loved by pollinators....so I composted it a little too soon.

And today....while visiting Janice....I got the whole "bolting" experience with her cilantro....and it was sight to behold.

This is a cilantro bloom....getting ready to make some seeds.  It's quite delicate and lovely...the bees will be happy!  

It was a beautiful summer scene.... the blue sky and the lacy dill in the background....
and the mass of bolted cilantro in the front. 


Here are a few more things I loved from Janice's house.

Look at the holes in the petals of the rose.  So interesting!

And I loved this hairy Queen Anne's lace bud.


And finally...I'm not the only one who loves watching blooms dry.  Janice had a whole bouquet of drying allium blooms.  It looks like a little firework bolt....pun intended. (is that even a thing? It is now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment