C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, June 27, 2022

Firsts

Yesterday I set an alarm for 9:00 pm.....I'm often in bed at that hour. We've finally had a little summerish weather so I wondered whether the fireflies would be out. Sure enough....there were a few here and there in the woods...but that's all it took to make my heart sing.  I may have my alarm go every evening at 9 for a while.

free image found online
It's fitting that I saw my first fireflies last night...because it was the first time this season I went for an evening swim.. Yes....there's a story.  I've told it before I believe...but it's a good one....so here I go again.

I grew up with fireflies on the farm in Wisconsin. There was no light pollution in the country....and early summers were often hot and humid....just the way fireflies like it. I have fond memories of chasing and catching them....it was magical.  

But I've lived in the city most of my adult life....and there were very few...if any fireflies. I actually had almost forgotten about them and I don't think my boys have many firefly memories....except when we visited the farm.

Then Paul and I moved to the condo in June of 2017.....still in the city...but also a little bit country. I had gone for my first evening swim and I was sitting on the patio drip drying a bit...and there they were.  The woods was twinkling with fireflies and the first thing I thought was "I'M HOME!"

And just this morning on our walk I saw my first fabulous mushroom....and I'm thinking of Joyce.  (she knows why) 

Here's to fabulous firsts!



Paul and I walked by this sign this morning....and it caught my attention. 
Sometimes it's just this simple.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE fireflies! Hard to describe, but they are just so magical. The sign is everything a human needs to know.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to hear from another fan! Magical signs....Yes!

      Delete