C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, April 20, 2018

Many Moons

How many moons does it take to get it right?  Four.

One of the projects I worked on while I was away was this appliquéd snow scene. And this morning after four tries I finally got the moon right and stitched on the last tree.

I know it's spring....but it was snowing yesterday morning so this seems particularly appropriate this year.

To make the moon(s) I layered a piece of lightweight fusible batting onto a circle of cloth cut a bit larger.  I inserted a piece of card stock for stability, basted around the edge, and gathered it up tightly and gave it a good pressing. At that point I could take the paper out.


I didn't like the first one because the fabric and the batting were too thin and you could see through it. I tried a a couple of fixes that didn't work.  Unfortunately I didn't audition the size adequately and I made it a second time with an extra layer but decided it was too big. The third one ended up bumpy and I could see the ridges of the gathered fabric...so that didn't work either. Nevertheless I persevered.  


The fourth one was just right....this time I left the card stock in which gave it a nice crisp, opaque look.  Since it was going in a frame I didn't think it mattered and it was still easy to appliqué.  Phew! Fourth time's a charm!
This looks like the minis I've been working on (I'm making more of those too) but it is bigger....the opening of this one is 5 x 5 and the fame is 8 x 8.  

No comments:

Post a Comment