C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Working Small

Paul and I came to Maine yesterday for a few days....and unfortunately I didn't bring what I needed to work on the accordion piece....the binding fabric and beads.  So I shifted gears and did a little experiment working small. There are lots of nooks and crannies to hang smaller pieces for my show....and last year I had a lot of success with small framed fabric pieces. The nice thing about these is that you don't have to finish the edges because they're hidden behind the matte.

I really liked the simple quilt piece I did with the inset birch type trees so I did a smaller version.....the opening is just 4 x 6. I'm deciding if it needs any top stitching....there's something nice and clean about it the way it is but it may need more texture.  I ironed it onto a piece of fusible batting and that smoothed it out nicely.  I will probably do a little embellishment and I'm thinking about a button moon.

The lighting on my photographs today was terrible.....I needed the over head light which created too many shadows and distorted colors. The blue and green (shot cottons from Kaffe Fassett) are very rich and pretty in person.








This was actually the first one I did this morning....in indigo blues.  I had one small piece of this funky fabric that looks like birch trees in my stash here...and I really like it.  I have more of it back in Lexington so I think there will be more of these. Once I finish the bigger quilts I'll make several versions of these smaller ones. 


This one may end up as a square.....and I do like the button moon. It may also end up with a little twinkle in the sky too....
This is what it looked like before I trimmed it up....kind of wonky. I'm definitely hooked on the uneven horizon line. Next time I'm going to try and make the birch trees in more of a clump.


2 comments: