C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, April 6, 2018

Working Even Smaller


Just because I found some tiny little frames while I was picking up a few things at Michaels....today I worked even smaller.

The frames are 3" x 4" and the opening is just 2" x 3"...tiny....and totally fun.



Once I get something in my head....I have to go with it or I won't sleep.  For the recent "working small" project  I pieced in the birch trees.....but I wanted a little more control with this even smaller version....and I didn't want the raw edge of fusing.

Using a technique I learned from my friend Jane I made a bunch of appliqué ready birch trees. Turning the edge of fabric with wrong sides together I stitched the edge of a skinny trunk. Then I trimmed the seam very close to the stitching line. 

 

My goal was to turn the seam to the back....so I scrunched it onto a wooden skewer so I could wiggle it around with my fingers.


As I pulled it off the skewer...I ironed it flat. They make special flat tools for this....but the skewer worked just fine.

Because I tried to sew a little wavy....it came out looking a little more like a tree trunk.....and the seam is hiding nicely at the back...it's all ready to appliqué.

 

I got on a roll and made several long stretches....I know I'll be making several of these little pieces.  After auditioning it under the matte....I hand stitched the trees down using a blind stitch and trimmed it all up to fit the tiny little frame.



The matte bevel gives it a little room for beads...a button....or something.


For this one I chose on a tiny little sand dollar I found at Popham Beach several years ago. 

I know I'm going to make a bunch of these and I've got a stack or fabric ready to go.  They won't be a very "visual" part of my show....but I'm sure I'll find a place to put them.


I have a bunch of these tiny sand dollars from Popham Beach....it's time to use some of them.  And yes...I also found that little star fish.  I love the beach!  And I love working even smaller!

No comments:

Post a Comment