C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Jubilant Banners

"Choose Love Not Hate."
"Make Each Day Your Masterpiece."
"Justice!"
"Black Lives Matter"  
The students in Laura Meddaugh's art class.

My friend Laura teaches art to young people.  Her students recently made fabulous banners to hang in their front yards during these turbulent and uncertain times. The first photo was the result of the first step...and the next ones are few of the end products after some embellishing and finishing touches.



So impressive....and so much fun.  They will really brighten and inspire their neighborhoods! 





The colors in the banners remind me of some new batiks I just picked up to fill in some gaps in my stash. I love the textures and earthiness of batiks....probably my favorite kind of fabric. I'm about to begin a larger stained glass practice piece....and I've prepared my new fabrics so I'll be ready to hit the ground running when I get back to my studio.  I've already got a big stash prepared waiting patiently there so I'm ready to roll.


The fusible is ironed on...and once I trim them up I'll peal off the paper revealing the other side of fusible and they'll be ready to cut up into little stained glass pieces.  

The nice things about this Pellon 805 Wonder Under is that at this point you could draw a fussy pattern on the paper and cut it out before you peel the paper off.  This works well for lettering...you just have to remember to draw them backwards.  

Joan and I did just that for the lettering on a church banner you can see in this post:


I generally save most of my scraps...but now I'm even more mindful of skinny strips knowing I can use them in "jubilant" swirls of color.  



No comments:

Post a Comment