C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, July 13, 2020

Rainbows and Swirls

We found a rainbow of colors on our walk this morning.


Which leads right into my finished rainbow piece for the Swirls of Color class with Isobel Moore.  I'm known for starting lots of projects....and only finishing a few. I really wanted to start experimenting with some other swirl ideas today....but I thought it was more important to get closure on this one.  

I think I'm going to keep this piece....so wanted it small to tuck somewhere in my studio.  I chose to bind it onto a canvas like I did for a recent fabric stained glass piece....simple and clean.


There are lots of strings that go off the edge....so the binding a little lumpy...but that's the nature of the project. I'm actually pretty happy with it....which is unusual for me to say. Isobel is such a great teacher....and I can't wait to keep working with strips of cloth and fibers.


I cut my piece the exact size of my 8" wooden paint panel (a reject from my painted papers class).  I prepared the binding with a 1/2 inch of fusible webbing along the edge and sewed it on the piece like I would a quilt with mitered corners. I glued the piece on the panel with thick gel medium and weighed it down until it was dry...then fused the binding around to the back.



Before I read the finishing lesson from the class...I was thinking about binding it with this soft stripe...that blended so well with all the colors. But based on Isobel's advise in the lesson....I chose the simple linen....and fused some of the stripe on the back for extra strength and as a little surprise.  It was the right call!!  Thank you Isobel!!!


This oversized marble that spins on a base looks as if it was my inspiration!


You can check out a little video of this marble in action on my Instagram page.  Just click through the first couple of photos to the video: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCmdbAMH0Pf/

8 comments:

  1. Wow, your Swirl is fantastic! the closer I look, the more I see, the more wonderful it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Christine!!! There's a lot there to see....and even a lot hidden underneath that just peek through.

      Delete
  2. So lovely and so inspiring to try something new!

    ReplyDelete