C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, August 28, 2022

Eye Level

Sometimes the stars line up and there's that serendipitous moment when you are in the right place at the right angle....and you discover something fabulous right outside your door.

Last night on my evening walk I cut across the lawn in a way I don't go very often and I got a glimpse of something unusual in the maple tree.  

My radar is always on alert....for interesting things....and something was tucked in the leaves. It was right at eye level...so I was able to get right up close to check it out.


It's pretty small....so I was guessing/hoping it was a hummingbird's nest. We've have several visiting the feeders all summer. 

I absolutely love how they tied it around the branch...suspending it off the edge. It's like a little sling or pouch. 

Do birds return to a nest?  Might they nest here again next year?

After a little research I found out that hummingbirds rarely reuse their nests...but on occasion they do rebuild right on top of the old one.  They also might use materials from the old nest and build one nearby....and I'll be watching. The nests are made from an assortment of things and held together with spider webs.....how cool is that!  This kind of construction allows the nest to expand as needed for a growing family.  

Unfortunately my research also suggested that this might not be a hummingbird's nest....they average only about an inch in diameter.  I'm taking my tape measure out tomorrow....I think it might be more than an inch.

The other eye level attraction in my yard is a low branch on my sycamore tree. Do you see it dangling there at the bottom.
And on it...are several green fuzzy seed pods...which just fascinate me and I've been watching them develop all season. Usually they're so high up I can't really photograph or enjoy them unless or until they fall. By then they are brown....and many hang all winter on the bare tree...and I love the look.
"Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper 'I Love You'
Birds singing in the sycamore tree
Dream a little dream of me."  Gus Kahn



Found this image from a post back in 2019....
the seed pods in the winter sycamore tree.




No comments:

Post a Comment