C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

School Bags

Another mostly out and about day today...but in between social gatherings I played with a little color. 


I finished the Northern Lights puzzle....and that darn edge piece never showed up. 

And...I did a little sewing.  Our church project group is making school bags for Church World Service that members of the congregation will fill with supplies for kids in need.  Our group goal is 100....I'm contributing 10.


I picked heavier weight fabric from my stash and cut all the bags out last Monday at project group. Today was just sewing french seams which hide all the raw edges. Some of the fabric I'm using is light upholstery fabric which frays easily....so this kind of seam works well.

First you sew a narrow seam with wrong sides together.  
Then you turn it right side in...give it a quick press... and sew another deeper seam enclosing your previous seam inside.  


This makes the inside nice and tidy with no threads to unravel. 
I have all the base bags made...I just need to make and attach handles....but that's for another day.





No comments:

Post a Comment