C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

I know What I Like

Our house guests, Alyson and Steve, are all tucked in....it's good to have them here.

I wish I knew when I bought this upholstery fabric....but it was quite some time ago  Even way back then I was a polka dot fan.  I know what I like.

I fell in love with it when I saw it....and knew it would have a prominent place in my home....someday. Years ago I made a chair pad....and a small bolster pillow for our Lexington home but had been waiting for the right project for the rest.
And...some of you may remember that the entry rug is the inspiration for the whole downstairs....and it goes perfectly with the fabric. It's like I had some grand plan....even back then.
We inherited window quilts in the whole downstairs of the condo except in the kitchen and they are wonderful in the winter for heat efficiency and the coziness factor. The brackets are large, bulky and ugly....so after two years it was finally time to tackle some window coverings.

I have no woodworking skills....but I can install brackets and a shelf....so that was my starting place. I had boards cut at the local lumber store and got to work. 
I had just enough length of fabric with barely an inch to spare for the front of the long window in the dining room.  I had to piece the sides and I tried to line up the dots so you almost can't tell there's a seam.  
I lined the panels and stapled them to the board.....easy peasy.


When we first moved in I didn't think I would like the salmon colored shades in this living area....but they've grown on me and now I like them quite a lot and they work well with the fabric.  In the other rooms the shades are either blue or white...again....the colors work well in each space.  Two more shades to make....sometime.
My practice room was Paul's little study off the living room.  Again....I already had the fabric...this time a table cloth I bought on sale from Crate and Barrel a while back....just because I loved the fabric.  

The table cloth wasn't quite wide enough...and I really wanted the stripes to be vertical....so there's a pleat in the center...but it worked out fine.

And as you can see it's really time to buy bookshelves....the stacks are everywhere!!!

Stripes and polkadots....I know what I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment