C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, August 16, 2019

Diamond Cove

Today we took the Diamond Cove Pass boat ride winding around the islands of Casco Bay.  There's nothing quite like being on the ocean and viewing the world from a different point of view.  Margie chose to sit this one out...but the rest of us had a great time.

There happened to be a huge cruise ship in the harbor which kind of dominated the landscape.






My friend Linda sent me quotes from an article she read in Magnolia Magazine by Julie Pointer Adams on wabi-sabi and it validated once again the importance of my collections of found objects around my house.

"Ultimately wabi-sabi  means striking a balance between the beautiful polished design we love to aspire to and the rough around the edges things that fill us and feed us and remind us who we are."

Celebrating this one hydrangea bloom for so long is at the core of who I am....and want to be.  It's so simple and has been beautiful in all its stages.

"Wabi-sabi encourages us to appreciate and elevate what's humble, impermanent, and earthy." 

Many of my found nature treasures at the condo can be found on these unexpected shelves which I written about before.  They are oak drawers from a discarded dresser I found along the road.  They sit on a hand-me-down hutch bottom from Linda and are filled with bits of this and that and that....everything has a story.
The small baby bottle from Paul's childhood holds the tiny marbles I found at a consignment store.  The driftwood is from my dear friend Connie and still has wax on it from when she used it as a candle holder.   

There's the spool I found on the beach and last year's dried sycamore seed pods.  There are pieces of bark, a mossy stick, and a prized dried daffodil blossom that reminds me of my time with Philippa in England.  Philippa is the one who taught me about the concept of wabi-sabi.

Another glass bottle holds dried berries from the holly I got as a gift from Marina's (Sam's girlfriend) family farm. And...I love the pottery pieces made by my boys when they were in elementary school....imperfection at its finest!                                                                                                        

I don't pick up everything....and I don't keep everything I pick up....but I've learned to love these  humble, impermanent and earthy treasures.








No comments:

Post a Comment