C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Something or Nothing

My friend Becky and her teaching colleague Lisa coined a phrase that helped them make decisions about what materials and supplies to keep in their classroom: "Is it something or nothing?"  It rattles around in my head and has been especially helpful as I sort through closets and cupboards.

It's what I thought of when I found Connie's wool rug hooking strips I posted a few days ago.  Are they something...or nothing?  I decided they were something....so the next question was: Can they be something interesting or beautiful?

So I spent a little time today playing around with them.
My first experiment was to stitch some strips together creating a landscape of sorts. It's similar to a project I did for one of my shows with wool...you can see that post here.  After looking at that project again I am reminded that I can use these skinny strips along with some bigger pieces of wool from my stash and make it more interesting.

I first ironed a few strips onto fusible interfacing but realized that once I got going I could just lay the next one down without fusing first.  I used a simple decorative + stitch that captured each side making all the edges secure.  I think it could turn into something

The light from the sewing machine makes the strips look much brighter than they are.....I kind of like them bright!
But their true muted colors are also very pretty.

I used a light grey thread...and I think it would take on a whole different look with color coordinated thread...or even black or navy.  It might make a nice backdrop for something with wrapped sticks...or even birch trees. I could also add some beading or embroidery or crewel stitches.  I could even try needle felting on top of it....lots of "somethings" are possible.

Next I started a little weaving using a tighter color palette. I stitched the warp pieces onto a foundation cloth so they would stay secure.  It will also gives the piece a little body so I can treat it more like a piece of fabric in the end and maybe even do some top stitching....or hand embellishing.

I'm not going to go any further with this because I think it would be enhanced by adding other fibers into the weave.  Then I'll decide if it's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment