C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Symbols

One of the unusual symbols of this crisis has been toilet paper....or the absence of it. Some people seem to have a need to buy a lot of it....maybe giving them a sense of comfort and/or security. And most certainly this is coming out of a sense of fear.  I do admit I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it for myself....but there's not been a single roll in sight in the few trips I've made to the grocery store.  Paul and I have enough for a while and I'm training myself to use a lot less....and that can only be a good thing.

And maybe I understand the urge to hoard better than I thought.

As I've been puttering and purging around the house I'm finding some of my secret stashes of  Scotties tissue with my favorite box design of all time.  And I will admit this is not all of them....these are just the ones I'm taking to Maine.  I bought a box or two every time I saw them in the store because I knew that one day they would stop making this design.  I've not seen them in a while so I think they've already stopped.

Maybe these are my symbols of comfort and security.  And I know you're thinking what I'm thinking that if I get desperate.....

No comments:

Post a Comment