C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Improv Stripes

My little horseshoe garden at the Condo is doing well....and I'm celebrating Pride Month with a little rainbow flag!  And here's a preview of my next puzzle....rainbow washi tape...seems just right doesn't it? It's only 300 pieces....but will be so much fun. 


I put my feet up and sorted the edge pieces on the back patio. The pieces are such nice quality and the colors are fantastic! Can't wait to get started!
Even though the gardens have had most of my attention....I'm still trying to sew as often as I can.  I follow Debbie Jeske's Instagram page called a quilter's table.  I've been drawn her improv stripes where she uses either two fabrics...or multiples to create her own striped fabric and uses them in a variety of ways. This is one of her quilts.

I explored her site and found that back in 2017 she did a quilt-a-long improv stripe challenge and many of the results can be seen in the following link...I love some of the fabric combos.
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/improvstripes/  

I also read her tutorial where I learned some good tips.  


Inspired by one of the quilts posted during the challenge I started with this Kaffe Fassett stripy fabric I love....and some jewel toned solids. I actually just realized that this fabric looks a lot like Debbie's quilt.
The fact that the strips are a little wonky and varied in size is intentional....the organic shapes are what I like most. I actually think I should push it a little farther making them even more varied and wonky.

I'll probably do a little slicing and dicing....and paired with some other Kaffe fabrics....maybe I can make something interesting.

I also played with some indigo fabrics...and some of the black and white fabrics I use for birch trees.  Right now I'm just experimenting....we'll see.  I'm just sewing!

2 comments:

  1. I am loving these improv blocks! They really appeal to me. Perhaps I need to explore this as a leader/ender, or just plain the main project. haha Love them. .Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....I'm loving them too. It's so much fun to see how they turn out each time...going to keep experimenting for a while.

      Delete