C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, June 26, 2020

Joy Quota

As a special education teacher I learned that fair meant people should get what they needed....not that everyone should get the same. And if that were true in the joy world I would have reached my quota for the day by about 9:00 this morning.....I had all I needed.

I'm guessing there are people in the world who don't get their fair share of joy....and I wish I could give some of mine away.

It's was a perfect summer morning in Maine....
sunshine...birds singing....and a gentle breeze.


Paul and I had our first swim of the season at 8:00 this morning....the first minute the pool was open on the first day it was open....all by ourselves. It was restorative and heavenly.

I got a thoughtful e-mail from Margie in response to yesterday's post about the John Calhoun monument coming down. She shared her experience about a road trip she took with my father-in-law Dave so she could check off the last two states on her list of visiting all 50....Florida and South Carolina. Being an activist for peace and justice, Margie wanted to visit many of the civl rights sites and museums along the way....all of which Dave would also enjoy.  But Dave, being an engineer also wanted to see Stone Mountain in Georgia....because of the engineering aspect of the carving feat. The stark contrast of this massive monument celebrating Confederate White Supremacist Generals with what else they had seen was a little more than she bargained for. 

It brings me joy that Margie and I share our stories....and I appreciated hearing her story this morning. Now I want to know more about this trip....because I have much more of a context for it.

Then this happened....4 of 8 rain lily buds opened by the end of the morning before we headed back to Lexington. And...the last of the little yellow day lilies opened too.

I always check on things in the garden first thing in the morning....and two had opened.  I set up my camera on time lapse and caught the third one opening and you can see it on my Instagram page with this link:


At least 30 minutes of video in just 15 seconds.

I was so excited to get this photo from Linda. She has named her "Miss Lily" and she is now safely at her new beach cottage in southern Maine.  She'll be happy there.

And it was one of those amazing cloud days for our drive back to Lexington...the whole way!  Joy quota reached and surpassed!

No comments:

Post a Comment