C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Washi Tape

I continue to fall in love with my new Bowman's Root plant from my sister. 

The blooms are so special and such a nice compliment to the larger rain lilies right next door.  It's an absolute delight.  

The rain lilies, by the way, are coming at a steady pace....one or two at a time. 
I'm guessing almost every crafter has at least a few rolls of Washi tape in their stash....and I'm no exception. Washi tape is similar to masking tape...but way better. "Wa" means Japanese and "shi" means paper...and Japan is where it originated and is made from natural fibers like bamboo or hemp. It comes in wonderful textures and patterns and has all kinds of uses in arts and crafts.  






So when I saw this puzzle in a store window in down town Lexington....it drew me right in.  The store was closed because of the pandemic...but the owner was inside and peeked out to see if he could help and I safely made my purchase right there on the sidewalk.

This puzzle could have been done in one sitting but I stretched it out over several days....and I loved every minute.  I loaned it to Margie first....and she loved it too.  


I used Washi tape along the back edges of this accordion rainbow book I made for Connie a while back. If you're interested you can read about that here.  All the posts I've written about projects I've done with Washi tape can be found here.....and I've just scratched the surface of how it can be used.





And today I worked on a little card project that started like this.....
but I'll write about that tomorrow....this post is already long enough.


Today I read the next article in The New York Times 1619 Project called "Traffic" by Keven M. Kruse.  Once again....I'm blown away....I've just never thought about some of this stuff.  


"While Interstates were regularly used to destroy black neighborhoods, they were also used to keep black and white neighborhoods apart.  Today major roads and highways serve as stark dividing lines between black and white sections in cities.  In cities like Atlanta, daily congestion is a direct consequence of a century-long effort to segregate the races."  Fifty years later "the city is still stalled in the past."

No comments:

Post a Comment