C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

It's Not That Simple

"Imagine a world where we listen to each other's stories and learn we are all not as different as we are the same." Story People 

I made this simple card yesterday using Washi tape.  Afterward the quote got me thinking....is that even true? What I've come to understand just recently is that my white privilege allows me to think it's just this simple....that down deep we're all the same. It's not that simple.

I love telling my stories and I'm appreciative of those who are willing to listen....mostly people just like me. And....I love hearing other people's stories too...but for the most part I only hear stories from people who are also pretty much just like me. I'm finally waking up to that fact our stories are often vastly different just because of the color of our skin. I also believe that our stories make up who we are....so we are all both the same and very much different. 

I'm trying to make a concerted effort to seek out stories I might not normally hear....even if they're difficult.  And I still hope and imagine for this kind of world.....but I/we have a lot of work to do.

I started this card with some Washi tape on my cutting mat.....
I didn't want to use straight pieces.


Using my rotary cutter I cut the tape with wavy lines and easily peeled off the pieces for the card.


I taped them to a pice of white card stock.  I trimmed the edges but realized that I could have easily wrapped them to the back.


I added paint dots in between the straight edges of the rows....but wish I hadn't. 
I've learned the hard way to do my lettering ahead with pencil because I often either misspell or even leave whole words out. And I still need a lot of work on my lettering skills.
Next I went over it with a permanent marker.....


...and erased my pencil lines with a good eraser.
Even at this point....I often find a mistake. I'm a terrible editor!
I think this one is OK.


I mounted it....and sent it on its way.
A simple little card....for someone special.
She'll understand and appreciate my journey with the quote.


As I was cleaning my table today...look what I found!  A whole stack of super skinny Washi tape.  


So of course the cleaning stopped....and I played.


Now what!  Another simple little card?


No comments:

Post a Comment