C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Happy Birthday Becky!

"Everyone has a friend during each stage of life....but only lucky ones have the same friend in all stages of life."

I'm celebrating my dear friend Becky's birthday today....we've known each other for 56 years. We've leaned on and lifted each other up in every stage...and I don't think there is anyone else except maybe Paul....who knows me as well as she does.

Becky has a little collection going of 4 inch photos of some of my rainbow projects. So this daisy wreath made from my painted papers seemed like the perfect 3D birthday card...and a nice addition to her collection.

I used a piece of wrapping paper I had on hand as the background rather than a collage...not much was going to show and I like this simple and subtle old school text pattern. I have a whole roll of this paper. I used matte medium as the glue and as a topcoat to knock down the glossy finish. I glued it on the cardstock to give it stability.

I often outline my design space with pencil....but forgot that once I covered it with medium I wouldn't be able to erase the pencil line....giving me no leeway.  And I wished I would have drawn a guide circle...but instead I just started randomly and had to keep adding to try and get it nice and round. You can see in the photo below the top is kind of flat....so I added one more red flower...and kept tweaking.

I filled in with this grassy paper I love....and it will be a sad day when it's gone. I've only seen it at one store which has gone out of business.  I keep my eyes open for it anytime I'm someplace artsy (which isn't very often these days) hoping it will turn up somewhere.



Becky has a long narrow wall in her project room where she displays these little rainbows. This photo is from last summer when I was visiting...and I actually think I've given her two more between then and now.  So I'm thinking there are 7 now? Is that right Becky? Are you running out of room? 


Here are all the others....I do love things in rainbow order!  
Happy Birthday Becky!  🌈


2 comments:

  1. That's a lovely addition to Becky's collection! And I love hearing about the process.

    BTW, Isobel has announced her next swirls class. Signups at the start of Oct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! Gotta love a rainbow collection! I saw that Isobel was offering another swirl class...are you taking it? I'm waiting for her seascapes one!

      Delete