C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, July 27, 2024

Beauty in Imperfection

I'm pretty tickled with one of today's printing experiments. This was actually the second try after I had a lightbulb moment on how to improve my process. Multiple layers of glass like I use for the plants are not needed. As a matter of fact...they make it harder.

I punched 4 circles from heavy paper.  I placed the smallest one in the middle of the prepared paper....put glass on top and placed it in the sun for about 45 seconds. I quickly took the glass off and removed the first circle and placed the second and put the glass back. I did this two more times each time using a bigger circle. Once I had the 4th circle in place...I let it sit for 6 or 8 more minutes.

It's hard to get them perfectly centered...but I'm finding beauty in imperfection.
There is wild cucumber growing along the roadside at the far wild end of our condo complex. It has these crazy curly tendrils that twist and dangle.....and grab onto anything within reach.

This first little tangle looks like my studio right now....lots of interesting things going on....but a bit of a mess! There is beauty....in imperfection.

Now that I think about it....it looks like how my brain feels sometimes! 

And this one somehow found its way to the tip of the leaf.  


Once I discovered them....I couldn't stop looking for more.

5 comments:

  1. The uncenteredness of the concentric circles MAKES the beauty of today's sunlight photo, MaryAnn. I could not like it more.

    AND those cucumber tendrils and tangles are compelling—they so perfectly represent my inner life of late! Your photographing/noticing/appreciating them throws my inner twists and tangles into happy perspective. Ta da!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the validation of the uncerteredness! I do think is adds a litle character and homemadeness.

      I feel the same way about the tendrils....I did kind of bond with them.

      Delete
  2. I actually prefer the circles off center-makes it more interesting & unexpected. The cucumber tangles in the first picture make me think of my wired earbuds- every single morning. How do they get tangled up at night??? There must be little gremlins that come in and tie them into knots ;o)
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! That makes me feel better that the the circles being a little off is your preference! Yay!

      Ha ha....yes! Strange things happen at night with cords.

      Delete
  3. Your print process has me intrigued! Aren’t those curled tendrils amazing?

    ReplyDelete