C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, July 19, 2024

UPR

Our son Sam stopped in today and shared some of his experiences at his new job at  The Collaborative School in New Gloucester, Maine. The school works with students who have complex emotional issues and the job is both challenging and rewarding. They are in summer mode right now giving Sam a chance to acclimate before official instruction begins later this summer.

The most important thing they do is build relationships with their students....and that is built around Unconditional Positive Regard, mutual respect, honesty, and open communication.

Unconditional Positive Regard! I love this phrase....and I've been thinking about it all day. 

Our world needs a little more UPR!

2 comments:

  1. UPR—what a gift to be in a community setting, as Sam is now and will be, where UPR is practiced, modeled, and supported, and its challenges understood. I'm reminded of when I started as a new teacher at Landmark School in Prides Crossing, MA, as a young adult. Little did I know that the guiding principles I learned there would be foundational for my entire adult life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people get it right....they get it really right and it can't help but change us! Having worked in special education my entire career...I am familiar with the Landmark School. It's an impressive place!

      Delete